The Isle of Whithorn
Isle of Whithorn Community Council
Thursday 16 February 2017
St Ninian's Conference Room, Isle of Whithorn
Present: Marion Sunderland (MS), Chair; Hugh Jaques (HJ), Vice-chair; Ruby Bell (RB), Secretary; Jon Martin (JM) , Treasurer; Dine Collins (DC); Liz Kiltie (LK), Irene Matier (IM); Jack Niblock (JN); Cllrs A Geddes and Jim McColm.
1. Apologies: Diane Collins, Fiona Farr, Noreen Raines and Graham Nicol
2. Minutes of previous meeting: approved.
3. Police report: (a) noted email address; (b) vehicles on car park: had been checked out after last meeting, still there two weeks later, now reported to D&G Community Safety Team to progress, as it is D&G land; (c) derelict property by the Harbour Car Park: had been checked and owner asked to secure it; (d) Local incidents: drink driving generally up on previous year – perhaps as a result of new alcohol limits; (e) Fraud reports: reports of moneygram frauds, police warned public not to supply information; (f) Rural thefts: events in Ayrshire – quads and fuel – importance of informing the Police of any suspicious activity; (g) Unwanted callers: Police recommend Trading Standards web site, HJ commented on new BT service; (h) Dementia Friends: 9 now trained in the area; (i) Advice to local groups: contact Police as required; (j) Presentations; presentations re road safety etc available for community groups.
4. Treasurers Report: (a) General Account: £886.79 + £40.00 Bonfire Night donation= £926.79; of this £195.40 I sring-f3enced, leaving £731.39 in general funds. The Bonfire Night Fund is owed a further £63.60, bringing it to £259.00; (b) Admin Account: opened at £696.23, cheques to the value of £170.10 leaves a working total of £526.13. The Gala Committee owes Isle CC £ 109.50 for insurance, making a total of £635.63 on repayment.
5. 'Isle Barrage': Stuart McGlashan made a presentation about this Strathclyde University student hypothesis and took questions. He was thanked for an interesting presentation.
6. Matters arising: (a) Gala Insurance: 2017 insurance had been sought; (b) Resilience: MS outlined the present position – no further forward, though funding secured, she proposed to hold a separate meeting, JM noted that Graham McKie was now in charge of this, AG offered to contact G McKie about attending the proposed meeting; (c)Street lights: noted that new LED lights installed throughout the village; (d) Electricity poles: noted that some finials were still about; (e) Power Cut: some people had received compensation from Scottish Power re the cut on Christmas Day, others had not, MS suggested that they should phone Scottish Power again; (f) Whithorn Police Station: Agnoted that the Police Scotland response had been inconsistent, notably regarding the hub idea.
Items available to CC members: (a) SWESTRANS: social transport, AG & JM updated CCV on this; (b) Federation: minutes; (c) Defibrillator: ready to collect; (d) Dog Fouling: day o faction, MS asked that the Community Safety Team make more visits to the village, especially the Cairn area; (e) Navigational Risk Assessment: information received; (f) Scottish Power Payment: resident who missed the compensation payment.
8. Reports: (a) Youngsters' Group: LK reported that the Group continued to prosper with a craft night, prize bingo night held recently as they get into step again – older ones numbered 8-10 and the younger ones 22-25 with some from Whithorn. (b) Isle in Bloom: watch this space.
9. AOCB: (a) Road potholes: LK reported pothole in Tonderghie Road in the usual places – MS to report; (b) Wall at Junction of Main Street/Tonderghie Road: JN reported that thi sstill was not repaired – MS would follow up on this.
10. Date of next meeting: Thursday 16 March 2017; (JN gave apologies for next meeting.)
Send us your comments...
The content of this website is maintained by members of the Isle of Whithorn Village community. If you have a comment about this article please contact us.
The Isle of Whithorn now has its own page on Facebook. Simply login to your Facebook account and search for 'The Isle of Whithorn' to find us. Become a fan, say hello, post your pictures or stories and share your comments on our Page!
Follow the Isle of Whithorn on Twitter. http://twitter.com/IsleofWhithorn